Digital Marketing 101: Content Marketing Foundation
Content marketing is vital for brands to use to establish credibility, share industry news or information, and improve their SEO.
Here are the five steps you should take to execute effective content marketing:
1. Defining Target Markets
Before you start writing, identify who you want to write content for. Do you want to write for lawyers, accountants, automotive shoppers?
Identifying your target market helps you define an overview of your readers so you can determine your target market’s interests, pain-points, and types of content they’re interested in consuming in more detail in the next steps of content marketing strategy development.
2. Creating Buyer Personas
A buyer persona is a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customer based on market research and real data about your existing customers.
When creating buyer personas, you should include customer demographics, behavior patterns, motivations, and goals. You can do so by answering questions about your target market so you can unravel details and insights about their lifestyle, interests, tastes, and other valuable information.
Here are some questions you can answer about your customers when developing buyer personas:
- What is their marital status?
- Where do they live?
- Are they a homeowner or renter?
- What is their gender?
- What is their age?
- Do they have children? How many? What ages?
- Where do they go to learn about a product or service?
- What offline resources do they use?
- What online resources do they use?
- Where do they prefer to do their shopping
- How do they prefer to interact with vendors?
- Who do they ask for product/service recommendations?
- How important is it to get a good deal?
- What types of mobile devices do they own?
- What type of indulgent or luxurious purchases do they make?
- What is the most frustrating part of their day?
- What is the worst customer service experience they’ve ever had?
- What regular activity do they find stressful?
- What makes then nervous?
- What is the fastest way for somebody to make them angry?
- What is your least favorite part of their job?
- What do they worry about professionally?
- What are the top three things on their bucket list?
Once completed, you buyer persona should look something like this:
3. Select Content Types
There are several content types available in today’s digital world. You can create videos for YouTube and/or Facebook, eBooks, webinars, online live conferences via Instagram Live or other channels, or blogs posts.
Here are the most popular content types:
- Videos (Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube)
- Case Studies
- White papers
- Live streaming (e.g. Instagram Live)
It’s important for you to select content types most suitable for your business and more importantly, your target audience so your market is more likely to consume your content!
You can find out what kind of content your audience likes by using surveys or face-to-face questions.
4. Keyword Research
As mentioned above, one benefit of content marketing is SEO. Hence, it’s important for you to include relevant keywords in your written content so the content will be more likely to appear on search results for related queries.
To perform keyword research, you can use tools such as SEMRush or Google Keyword Planner. Once you have performed keyword research, make sure to include targeted keywords in the title tag, headings, and body copy.
5. Develop Content Calendar
A content calendar is an editorial calendar that lets you schedule upcoming content so you can plan and write content ahead of time, ensure content is published in a timely manner, and a mix of content types is published. More, a content calendar helps you keep track of when a piece of content is published and the content’s title and theme and you can cross-reference with Google Analytics or other analytics tools to see if sales or website performance has improved after the content was published. Engaging in this analysis helps you better analyze and understand the effect of your content marketing.
There you have it- five simple steps for creating effective content marketing that’s aligned with your consumers’ interests and help your company engage with your customers.
If you have any questions about the article or wants help with content marketing, please feel free to get touch with us via form below.
ABOUT RW DIGITAL
RW Digital is a strategic and technical digital consulting agency that provides actionable insights through digital analytics and develop and execute digital marketing roadmaps to help brands continue to grow their companies.
Copyright ©2019 RW Digital. All rights reserved.